Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How do i reinstall widows?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TK Trooper
Lifer
Lifer
TK Trooper

How do i reinstall widows? Empty
PostSubject: How do i reinstall widows?   How do i reinstall widows? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 3:07 pm

The missus young lad's laptop has had it....... Somehow he has managed to get it so riddled with virus and what not that nothing will now open, when you click on anything there is just a pop up window saying that the file is corrupted with a virus and would you like to purchase anti-virus. I can't even open the AVG anti virus i put on there for him without getting the same message. Literally everything has stopped working, apart from (not surprising) the ability to uninstall the AVG program.

I even tried the restore to a previous date thing as a last resort without any luck. So i'm thinking the only thing left to do is wipe the whole laptop and reinstall windows. The rpoblem is i've never done it before, he hasn't got any of the disks and i don't know how to do it.

Ca anyone advise or do a "step 1, 2, 3....." ect instructions for me to follow?

Also what disks do i need to get and where from?

help
Back to top Go down
Spellarella
Lifer
Lifer
Spellarella

PostSubject: Re: How do i reinstall widows?   How do i reinstall widows? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 3:22 pm

No discs or hardrive version only bit more trickier follow this link on wikihow.

http://www.wikihow.com/Reinstall-Windows-XP-Without-the-CD

What model and make is the laptop and roughly how old?

Make a note of the OS serial number, should be on the bottom of the laptop along with its details. Make sure it is plugged in not running on batterys, reinstallis a energy hog.

As you're virused do not back up aything the virius are live and will move with anything you back up. Soon as you put it back, back they come.

If you have the original rescue disks follow this.
If you have. first thing is if you are infected, as you are. NEVER DO A RESTORE FROM A RESTORE POINT. virus's head and infect it.

To to an install, put the orignal disc in, turn off and turn on. Each start up sequence is different. Mines says hit enter to install for CD. Yours will say something similar. Follow it and it will take you through the steps.

I would suggest a fresh install as it will ensure the virius's are removed. I usually wipe (FORMAT the drive and my MBR then I'm a bit more experienced in doing this and like the gungho approach) the lot off some differ and keep the old settings and files but it can keep the virius's in them. Up to you what you go for.

Old setting and files are usually found in the main drive and are marked C: drive windows old.

The resintall sequence is step by step fromt he CD's and you may have to re-add the drivers.I have 2 discs, windows and my drivers and also a recover on my e/drive.

You can add the drivers in the reinstall sequence, it asks you.

It will take time to do it and then when its finished you've got to update it via the windows update, add a firewall and antivirus. I would make the antivirus run itself regular if the lad doesn't do it. It'll save headaches like this.

Does that make sense?

This is and XP set up, might make a bit more sense and lets you know in advance whats coming up. All Wndows are roughly similar in set up terms.

•Files will start to load from the CD to begin the installation. Eventually you’ll be asked if you want to install Windows XP. No need to type an essay here on why you’ve made the decision to do the installation. Just hit Enter.

•Next is the End User License Agreement or EULA which must be accepted to continue installation. Press F8 to accept, F3 to bail out now. You can read the EULA if you want, but it adds two days to the installation time.

•The next screen displays the available partitions where XP can be installed. Select the one you want and tap that Enter key again to move on to the screen where you select a file system.

•It’s time for that important decision. FAT32 versus NTFS. The preferred choice is NTFS. It allows security features and stability that aren’t possible with FAT32. Apply the knowledge you gained during the preparation phase at this point. Make your choice of formatting options and press the F key to start the process. Once the format process completes the installation will continue.

•If you are installing from a full version Windows XP CD the installation continues without intervention. If you’re using an upgrade version CD this is where Microsoft confirms your eligibility by requesting the media that allows you to use the upgrade version. Insert your media in the drive, let the verification complete and reinsert the XP CD when prompted.

•Setup continues and eventually the computer will reboot. Watch the onscreen prompts but do not press a key when the “Press any key to boot CD” message appears.

•Installation will continue, prompting you from time to time to supply some additional setup information. Feed the prompts with appropriate responses and eventually another reboot will occur, this time bringing you back into Windows XP, depositing you at the Windows Activation screen.

•You can either activate your copy of XP now or delay the activation for up to 30 days and suffer the periodic activation reminders. I suggest you activate now and register at the same time. It’s really painless. In any case, activation is required at some point or after 30 days you’ll be denied access to the desktop. Registration is entirely optional.

•The last step is to enter a username and watch the XP desktop appear, ready for use.

Congratulations. You’ve just completed a clean install of Windows XP. Look around, explore, play with the settings and start installing applications and transferring your data backup. You’re not in Kansas anymore. This is Windows XP.

Last edited by Gris Gris on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Spellarella
Lifer
Lifer
Spellarella

PostSubject: Re: How do i reinstall widows?   How do i reinstall widows? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 3:29 pm

Youtube have walk throughs. Various laptops and desktops have different ways but basics are similair.

Part 1

Part 2
Back to top Go down
.tUrniP
Lifer
Lifer
.tUrniP

PostSubject: Re: How do i reinstall widows?   How do i reinstall widows? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 5:53 pm

It sounds like a pretty standard "rogue av" to me, in which case it's probably not that difficult to remove manually, although a quick format/reinstall may be just as easy, I guess...

If you decide to try removing the virus gather a bit more information, anything you think might help identify it; This type of virus is very much a digital conman and as such they often use branding and the such to try to appear legitimate ... it shouldn't be too difficult.

Back to top Go down
TK Trooper
Lifer
Lifer
TK Trooper

PostSubject: Re: How do i reinstall widows?   How do i reinstall widows? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 2:34 am

Gris Gris wrote:

What model and make is the laptop and roughly how old?

It's a Toshiba Satelite L300, about 2 years old

Gris Gris wrote:
Make a note of the OS serial number, should be on the bottom of the laptop along with its details.

Is that the microsoft sticker on the bottom?

Gris Gris wrote:

If you have the original rescue disks follow this.
If you have. first thing is if you are infected, as you are. NEVER DO A RESTORE FROM A RESTORE POINT. virus's head and infect it.

To to an install, put the orignal disc in, turn off and turn on. Each start up sequence is different. Mines says hit enter to install for CD. Yours will say something similar. Follow it and it will take you through the steps.

I would suggest a fresh install as it will ensure the virius's are removed. I usually wipe (FORMAT the drive and my MBR then I'm a bit more experienced in doing this and like the gungho approach) the lot off some differ and keep the old settings and files but it can keep the virius's in them. Up to you what you go for.

Old setting and files are usually found in the main drive and are marked C: drive windows old.

The resintall sequence is step by step fromt he CD's and you may have to re-add the drivers.I have 2 discs, windows and my drivers and also a recover on my e/drive.

You can add the drivers in the reinstall sequence, it asks you.

It will take time to do it and then when its finished you've got to update it via the windows update, add a firewall and antivirus. I would make the antivirus run itself regular if the lad doesn't do it. It'll save headaches like this.

Does that make sense?

I don't have the original C.D (any C.D's in fact), is it possible to download the stuff i need from a torrent?
Back to top Go down
TK Trooper
Lifer
Lifer
TK Trooper

PostSubject: Re: How do i reinstall widows?   How do i reinstall widows? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 2:35 am

.tUrniP wrote:
It sounds like a pretty standard "rogue av" to me, in which case it's probably not that difficult to remove manually, although a quick format/reinstall may be just as easy, I guess...

If you decide to try removing the virus gather a bit more information, anything you think might help identify it; This type of virus is very much a digital conman and as such they often use branding and the such to try to appear legitimate ... it shouldn't be too difficult.

I can't open anything on the computer, it just keeps saying that certain files are missing, and do i want to update security!
Back to top Go down
.tUrniP
Lifer
Lifer
.tUrniP

PostSubject: Re: How do i reinstall widows?   How do i reinstall widows? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 5:49 am

Quote :

Yes it is.

Quote :
I don't have the original C.D (any C.D's in fact), is it possible to download the stuff i need from a torrent?

Yes you can. Which operating system do you want to put on it?

Quote :
I can't open anything on the computer, it just keeps saying that certain files are missing, and do i want to update security!

Is there a name for this security update, a name for this "anti-virus" it's asking you to purchase?
Back to top Go down
TK Trooper
Lifer
Lifer
TK Trooper

PostSubject: Re: How do i reinstall widows?   How do i reinstall widows? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:01 am

.tUrniP wrote:
Quote :

Yes you can. Which operating system do you want to put on it?

It currently has Vista, but what ever is best he doesn't mind. Once downloaded what do i use to put it onto disc?

.tUrniP wrote:
Quote :

Is there a name for this security update, a name for this "anti-virus" it's asking you to purchase?

No nothing. When i try and launch AVG it says it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Won't let me open anything else either. God knows what he's done or what sites he has been on.
Back to top Go down
Spellarella
Lifer
Lifer
Spellarella

PostSubject: Re: How do i reinstall widows?   How do i reinstall widows? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 2:10 pm

[quote="TK Trooper"]
Gris Gris wrote:

It's a Toshiba Satelite L300, about 2 years old

Sticker = yes.

Drivers = CLICK HERE or google them up. Toshiba may have them also on site available to download.
Toshiba

The drivers are the most important thing you need or else the laptop will not function fully.

As for Operating system. Yes they are available in torrents, you take your chances. Be aware Microsoft is cracking down fast on these and you may get a warning illegitmate copy and a shut down. There are ways round this but you have to keep ahead of these things regular.

However I think Toshiba's OS is installed in the hardrive itself. Some models didn't. In the D drive there is a recovery section. pressing F8 at start up should bring up the safe mode where you can see if there are any partitions and recovery sections on it.

The bug ( malware) you are experincing is common on many pages, its a known hoax. It flashes up as a warning, which you click then it should take you to the page to buy it. Try clicking it, it might give you the name of the problem and many can b taken off with a bit of careful registery editing.

There is also virus that mimics AVG. That is a bitch to deal with and a format and reinstall is normally the safest way to go.

If you can download a copy of MALWARE BYTES. Its free, burn it to CD or flash drive. Then run it on the affected laptop. It might kill it or at least let you have access to things.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do i reinstall widows?   How do i reinstall widows? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do i reinstall widows?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Bits For PC's :: PC Problems and solutions.-
Jump to: