HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Rose and Crown

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
MrBee

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 2:38 am

I know yeah. Woke up wanting a burger and they were the proper meaty butchers one's too. Don't know how I'll better that today ... probably end up on Rice Crispies for tea.

Can't. Stop. Eating. Everyone keeps telling me I've put on a shit load of weight, can't see it myself ... I think I'm a backward anorexic (a fat bastard who looks in the mirror and sees the body of a god), lol!

Do they sell these Oatcake things in any of the supermarkets?
Back to top Go down
MrBee

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 2:39 am

Agree with the kebabs stranger but never again will I eat left over chinese in the morning ... got food poisoning off the prawns last time puke
Back to top Go down
Gaznandi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 2:50 am

MrBee wrote:
I know yeah. Woke up wanting a burger and they were the proper meaty butchers one's too. Don't know how I'll better that today ... probably end up on Rice Crispies for tea.

Can't. Stop. Eating. Everyone keeps telling me I've put on a shit load of weight, can't see it myself ... I think I'm a backward anorexic (a fat bastard who looks in the mirror and sees the body of a god), lol!

Do they sell these Oatcake things in any of the supermarkets?

No mate, only in our parts i think...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/audioslideshow/2009/jan/28/staffordshire-oatcake-pancake

'I've just been in north Staffordshire on the trail of the local oatcake (you can view my audio slideshow here and read more about my trip here), one of those regional specialities which are hugely popular but only within tightly defined boundaries. You won't find many outlets south of Stoke-on-Trent or north of Rudyard Lake, where Kipling's parents did their courting. The poet doesn't mention oatcakes in his verse but the north Staffordshire sort are reckoned to come from India, where soldiers from the county regiment served at the same time as he was having the boyhood adventures described in Kim. The troops took to chapatis much as the rest of have since Asian restaurants and takeaways brought them to the UK.

The North Staffordshire oatcake is floppy and pancake-like, as opposed to the more famous Scottish biscuit, but it has a delicious oaty taste. The batter-whisking aerates each one like a crumpet or pikelet (the latter are often sold alongside) or the closest physical relative I can think, of a galette. That's only the beginning, though. Few enthusiasts eat North Staffordshire oatcakes on their own or just with butter, as you might a giant dropscone. Half the pleasure comes from thinking up fillings: cheese is standard, bacon traditionally very popular and you often get offered sausages cut in half horizontally so that the fat and flavour seeps one way and the heat of the griddle the other.

Modern times have brought endless choice and novelty: curries, mashed bananas, ice cream and endless combinations involving tomato ketchup and/or brown sauce. It's a delicious rival to fish and chips or pizza as a quick and manageable street snack. So why doesn't it spread? You probably know of other regional specialities that haven't - I remember writing on Word of Mouth about Middlesbrough's parmo, a uniquely local take on pork and parmesan cheese. Pea Wet in St Helen's, Wigan and an outpost at Holyhead is another example and Benny-and-Hot, a take on Benedictine and just-boiled water seldom encountered outside Burnley. But look at the Yorkshire pudding, the Cornish pasty and the Melton Mowbray pork pie – the latter so pirated that its makers in Leicestershire sought protected European status which will be confirmed this spring.

From my visit to Stoke, I'd say the North Staffordshire oatcake is up there with them. It may be a twist on the sort of peasant food you find from our simplest bread to Ethiopia's injera; but its makers have developed subtle variations on the cooking process and recipes (very tightly guarded) which have turned it into notable cuisine. They don't help their cause by sticking to opening hours which are as traditional as the food. You'll be very lucky to find a North Staffordshire oatcake shop open between Monday and Wednesday. The food was a weekend treat, historically, and its fans still prefer to delay their pleasure until at least Thursday.

Access is widening, slowly. An excellent map of outlets by enthusiast Peter Birstall shows 40, including a couple which strayed into Derbyshire and Cheshire. West Wales occasionally serves them up and if you Google diligently you can find some surprises. Benidorm, for example, offers exiled Potters the delicacy at www.theoatcakeguide.co.uk which even gives SatNav co-ordinates.'

Ta TW for the sig.
Back to top Go down
MrBee

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 3:06 am

Interesting read that. I had no idea Benny and Hot was local only to this area, my granddad drinks it all the time.

Quote :
recipes (very tightly guarded) which have turned it into notable cuisine. They don't help their cause by sticking to opening hours which are as traditional as the food. You'll be very lucky to find a North Staffordshire oatcake shop open between Monday and Wednesday. The food was a weekend treat, historically, and its fans still prefer to delay their pleasure until at least Thursday.

It's good to see traditions like this still going in the face of supermarket power. The oatcake shop, been there years and only opens on x and y. Its the same with the tripe stall on our market, been there since year dot.
Back to top Go down
Gaznandi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 5:53 am

Did you listen to the audioslideshow at the beginning of the post mate..i of course sound nothing like that.. wink
Though it does show the kind of house i live in

Talking of food, one of the Stoke lads has lived in Lancashire for 9 years and can't find a decent pie to rival these parts..
Can you recommend anywhere or any type of pie..?

Serious stuff this..

Ta TW for the sig.
Back to top Go down
MrBee

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 6:08 am

Tell him to find a proper chippy, not one of these chippy/kebab/pizza/fried chicken/everything shops and ask for a 'John Bull'.

There's only 2 PROPER chippies left in Blackburn and only one does them ... found this on it's website.

Quote :
'John Bulls - a real Blackburn Tradition!

A great traditional Blackburn favourite, ‘John Bulls’ have been by far the most requested item to be added to our menu over the last five years. In times gone by, they were easily available at most ‘chippies’ in North East Lancs, but as traditional chip shops have changed to ‘fast food joints’, John Bulls have only been able to be found in a couple of chip shops in the area.

So, after much experimentation, we feel we’ve found the perfect ‘John Bull’.

What is a John Bull? Based on the traditional recipe, our 'John Bull' is a uniquely seasoned mix of savoury mince meat sandwiched between two potato slices and fried in our light crispy batter. Try one!

There's a little family run bakery across from Ewood Park that does the best pies I've had, they sell to corner shops, pubs etc. They do a mean butter pie ...

They also do the 'Judas pie' which is popular round here.
Back to top Go down
MrBee

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 6:50 am

Is this something that goes on / went on in other parts too?

When I was a kid we used to have a pie van that came round and parked on the corner of streets selling hot pies ... same as an ice cream van.

We found out where one of the sellers lived and when he parked up at night would open up the hatches and eat all the left over pies he didn't sell clap
Back to top Go down
Gaznandi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 6:55 am

We used to have a chip van come on the estate every Friday night when i was a kid but not a pie van (he did sell pies like)...

And a Shop van too, used to have loads of stuff on tick and he used to sell loose fags at 5p a shot, fuckin pricey bastard...

Laughed like a horse as i remember..

Ta TW for the sig.
Back to top Go down
MrBee

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 7:03 am

Pie man, ice cream man, fish man, tea man, pop man, video man, calla gas man, telly man, provident man ...

Feck me, our house must have looked like a brothel shocked
Back to top Go down
Gaznandi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 7:13 am

Yeah we had pop man too, and Rediffusion tele man and we still have Provi now, though that matter is being dealt with by others.. wink

Ta TW for the sig.
Back to top Go down
Spellarella
Lifer
Lifer

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 9:39 am

MrBee wrote:
Is this something that goes on / went on in other parts too?

When I was a kid we used to have a pie van that came round and parked on the corner of streets selling hot pies ... same as an ice cream van.

We found out where one of the sellers lived and when he parked up at night would open up the hatches and eat all the left over pies he didn't sell clap
Used to many moons ago where I used to live. Along with fish, meat, grocery, tea, milk, ice cream, coal, wood, hardware, shop, lecky, insurance, burger, sweets and my fave the Tart man. thumbs up Back then being called a tart was cool, only when you brought a nice sweet or savoury tart form him lol!

My mums fave was the gas man, he came regulary. I can testify to that I'm his daughter lol!
Back to top Go down
MrBee

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 9:59 am

Shower then off to the hospital ...

I'm mean seriously, what kind of heartless bastard expects me to visit on the only night of the week we don't have any kids?! And i can't bloody stand hospitals either.
Back to top Go down
Gaznandi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 10:04 am

There's some selfish swines about aint there mate.. tongue

Ta TW for the sig.
Back to top Go down
MrBee

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 1:06 pm

In

Here's ya grapes, here's ya Lucozade. How are you? Good, good ...

Out!

scared
Back to top Go down
Gaznandi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 1:54 pm

If Carlsberg did hospital visits....

Ta TW for the sig.
Back to top Go down
MrBee

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 2:06 pm

Speaking of Carlsberg ...
Back to top Go down
Gaznandi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 2:36 pm

Finally gettin round to watching The Fighter, verrry good...

Ta TW for the sig.
Back to top Go down
MrBee

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 2:43 pm

One of the best I've seen the last 12 months ... Rocky without the fairytale bullshit thumbs up
Back to top Go down
MrBee

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 4:42 pm

Bed ...

Had 6 cans of lager, not touched a drop for 3 months ... don't know why I bothered cos its only give me the hiccups and heartburn. This time last year I would have drunk the fridge dry, so its all good I suppose.

G'night y'all goodnight
Back to top Go down
Gaznandi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Fri May 06, 2011 5:03 pm

MrBee wrote:
Bed ...

Had 6 cans of lager, not touched a drop for 3 months ... don't know why I bothered cos its only give me the hiccups and heartburn. This time last year I would have drunk the fridge dry, so its all good I suppose.

G'night y'all goodnight

G'night petal, glad have yer back.. wink

And btw, answer your fuckin phone you ignorant sod.. funnier

Ta TW for the sig.
Back to top Go down
The-Wall

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Sat May 07, 2011 4:50 am

Rough!!

Back to top Go down
Gaznandi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Sat May 07, 2011 4:54 am

Too much wine and merriment...?

Ta TW for the sig.
Back to top Go down
The-Wall

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Sat May 07, 2011 5:15 am

Gaznandi wrote:
Too much wine and merriment...?

Aye mate, Julz bought me big cans of Stella yesterday for the first time in ages and it seemed to have got me slightly pished.
Back to top Go down
Gaznandi
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Sat May 07, 2011 4:12 pm

Been busy on here today i see... lol!

Usual Saturday for me, Football and Grandsons...

Ta TW for the sig.
Back to top Go down
roland rat
Lifer
Lifer

PostSubject: Re: The Rose and Crown   Sun May 08, 2011 10:14 am

easy peeps
just popped in to say hi
hey gaz i here your team is trying to get this to number one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0fT9BHpImI&feature=fvwrel
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content