Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

help needed

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jolozkaz
Lifer
Lifer
jolozkaz

help needed Empty
PostSubject: help needed   help needed Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:12 pm

hello

i recently reformated a laptop the person wanted xp on so thats what i did all works fine but there is one nigglin problem when it starts it stays on a black dos screen with the option of startin 3 different windows xp versions its as if i have somehow partitioned it i have deleted the ones i dont want but still have to press enter to get windows started any ideas on how to get it sorted without formatin if poss

jo
Back to top Go down
Spellarella
Lifer
Lifer
Spellarella

help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: help needed   help needed Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:24 pm

When I had a similiar problem the only way I could get around it was reformatting it and starting the whole damn thing off again. As it turned out the first time it did not go in properly, which was due to a partition protector installed, which I had forgot about.

I tried this was given this as help, but it din't work for me ad mine windows was incomplete.

Right click My Computer / Properties / Advanced System Settings. Under Startup and Recovery click Settings and untick Time to display Operating Systems: make sure the right one is selected at the top.
Back to top Go down
.tUrniP
Lifer
Lifer
.tUrniP

help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: help needed   help needed Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:31 pm

You could try running the repair function from the XP cd; it sounds like it could just be the MBR.
Back to top Go down
Mrs-G
Admin
Admin
Mrs-G

help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: help needed   help needed Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 3:20 pm

MBR .tUrnip? Can you elaborate on that for me plz? thumbs up
Back to top Go down
https://maddogz.forumotion.co.uk
Mrs-G
Admin
Admin
Mrs-G

help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: help needed   help needed Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 2:25 am

Jo will be back on here soon T, so can you let us know what MBR is......or am I just being blonde? doh
Back to top Go down
lsg2007

help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: help needed   help needed Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 2:32 am

i had this with my laptop when i did a install you have to do a clean install cos i bet if you look at your hard drive info it will show its used loads just for windows it hasnt deleted the partition use the xp disk and do a complete reformat of c: then it should ask you if you want to add a partition in then you know it has done it right
Back to top Go down
.tUrniP
Lifer
Lifer
.tUrniP

help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: help needed   help needed Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 2:37 am

Oh right... MBR stands for Master Boot Record.
It's the bit that runs after the BIOS and before the operating system. In fact, it's used to load the operating system - bootstrapping.

Last edited by .tUrniP on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mrs-G
Admin
Admin
Mrs-G

help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: help needed   help needed Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 2:40 am

Cheers guys I'm sure she'll understand all that lot, if not she'll ask more..... thumbs up
Back to top Go down
jolozkaz
Lifer
Lifer
jolozkaz

help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: help needed   help needed Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 9:35 am

thanks everyone :-) will have a look at it
:-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

help needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: help needed   help needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

help needed
Page 1 of 1