Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Socialized Medicine

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Akiranika

Akiranika

Socialized Medicine Empty
PostSubject: Socialized Medicine   Socialized Medicine Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 5:12 am

The US is going through more growing pains right now over this subject. Those who can afford the costs of health care and those who can afford the premiums for adequate health care insurance don't want this. Obviously, many on the other end of the curve do want this because it will guarantee them minimum care when they need it. Some on both sides are worried that the costs of doing this will force tough decisions that will cost lives. Also, they don't want this or anything legislative shoved at them without adequate debate.

The UK, Cuba, and other countries found ways of making this work. Why can't the US?

Should they even try?

Opinions?
Back to top Go down
Mrs-G
Admin
Admin
Mrs-G

PostSubject: Re: Socialized Medicine   Socialized Medicine Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 6:55 am

I really feel for people in countries that have no access to free medical care.

I couldn't imagine living in the UK and being worried I couldn't be treat for an illness because I couldn't pay.....

I have to admit though that our NHS service is struggling every day to make ends meet, hospital closures, staff cuts etc.

People who work pay National Insurance money (a small percentage) taken from their wage each week, those who do not work still get free treatment covered by the government. People who work have to pay for their prescription medication approx £7 per item, people who don't work tick a box and get medication for free.

Socialized Medicine Hrwunb
Thanks to .tUrniP for the sig
Back to top Go down
https://maddogz.forumotion.co.uk
Akiranika

Akiranika

PostSubject: Re: Socialized Medicine   Socialized Medicine Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 7:25 pm

Are there ever any public "discussions" or arguments concerning who does or doesn't get "that special effort" to keep someone alive?
Back to top Go down
Mrs-G
Admin
Admin
Mrs-G

PostSubject: Re: Socialized Medicine   Socialized Medicine Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 12:11 am

Over here Aki there is a huge debate about whether women will get Herceptin on the NHS, a huge difference to their treatment of cancer!

People are being ruled out for being in the wrong area, only certain authorities can afford the drug, not many, and women have to fight to get the treatment.

Everyone has the right to a GP, dentist and hospital treatment but if you want to get there faster it is usually easier to pay to go private.

Back to top Go down
Akiranika

Akiranika

PostSubject: Re: Socialized Medicine   Socialized Medicine Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 2:26 am

I guess the better question to ask one such as yourself who lives there is this: Do you prefer the healthcare system you have or would you prefer a system similar to the "Free Enterprise" system the US currently has? (And no, it doesn't work. It only appears to. It is just about to collapse which is why the current efforts have come to a head.)
Back to top Go down
Mrs-G
Admin
Admin
Mrs-G

PostSubject: Re: Socialized Medicine   Socialized Medicine Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 3:08 am

Oh I much prefer the current system we have.....

When Gaz had his heart attacks it was stressful enough that day without having to worry about paying for his treatment!

The level of care he received was excellent, as far I we were concerned they did everything they should have.

My daughter once had surgery in a private hospital (passed on through NHS) because it cut down the waiting time, I would say their bedside manner and private room was the only major difference.

Oh and the price of a real cup of coffee rather than a machine made plastic cup full. shocked

Back to top Go down
Spellarella
Lifer
Lifer
Spellarella

PostSubject: Re: Socialized Medicine   Socialized Medicine Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 7:28 am

As us UK'rs pay NHS via our wages. I really think somebody should challenge the post code lottery. I certainly don't ever recall being asked to pay or told that my contributions cover this and that but not those.

That is exactly what is happening within the NHS. For all its ills it works. It would work more with less managers. You don't need a manger to manage a manager.

America fears change. The money men fear losing their comfy piles. That is the problem. Not one system to benefit the health. But one built on healthy bank balances.
Back to top Go down
Akiranika

Akiranika

PostSubject: Re: Socialized Medicine   Socialized Medicine Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 4:22 am

I have to agree with you there, Gris. Americans are afraid of change - and the changes that the most well-off are afraid they will see in their bank balances.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Socialized Medicine   Socialized Medicine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Socialized Medicine
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Chat :: Discussion Room-
Jump to: