Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gaznandi
Admin
Admin
Gaznandi

Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not? Empty
PostSubject: Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not?   Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 4:39 pm

Theres much talk going on about this...

Let em in or not.....

Me personally........let em in at Championship level and let em get promoted....but, that means 2 less teams in the Championship, so those wouldnt be happy...

Then, how much would the SPL fold once the big 2 comew down here..?
It'd be no better than the Welsh or Irish leagues...

Then, as Rangers and Celtic would have to give up on Europe for a Looooooong time, how happy wpuld they be to let go of that cash cow..?

All opinions and points of view most welcome
...... Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not? 878796
Back to top Go down
Gaznandi
Admin
Admin
Gaznandi

PostSubject: Re: Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not?   Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 5:22 am

*Bump*

I thought this might have warranted a juicy chat........ Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not? 151682
Back to top Go down
Bee
Lifer
Lifer
Bee

PostSubject: Re: Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not?   Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 9:34 am

I dont think it will happen, but I do think that at some point in the next few years Rangers and Celtic will breakaway from their league along with 5 or 6 English teams from the Prem and create a couple of 'Euro League' divisions.

I've seen a few ex pro's and managers etc talking about it recently, maybe they have the insider knowledge. Not sure how good it would be for the rest of us. Like you say, without the Old Firm the Scottish League would fall apart to sunday league level. Down in England wouldn't be much better either ... all the cash would be going into the Euro league and the leave the rest of us struggling with buying players and scrapping for the odd place into Europe.

I dont think there would be too many places available either. If the top clubs were to break away, I'd think that the likes of Utd and Real would be given/would want permanent 'seats' in the league or something similar.

Anyway though, IF Rangers and Celtic ever did join the English League, I think the only way it would work is that they start at the bottom - League 2, they cant be expected to go lower than that.

At the moment the two would be average Championship teams but within a few years they have the potential to be massive and actually end up dominating. Huge fan bases, histories, stadiums plus the extra revenue the Prem brings in - the first Scottish champions of England? Sounds scarry but maybe thats the real reason it has never gone through before ...
Back to top Go down
Mrs-G
Admin
Admin
Mrs-G

PostSubject: Re: Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not?   Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 4:30 am

I too think they should enter at championship level, don't sacrifice two English team places though, create two extra places.....extending the season by 4 weeks?

I would hate to see the premiership all split up and new leagues created, it would be like how the world darts championships are now! Let Rangers and Celtic have a shot with us, the outcome might be interesting one way or another!.

The other argument for a long time has been the travel distance for fans, will the Scottish and English away fans really want to travel up to 600 miles every other weekend? I think with the option of low cost flights it makes things easier for the distance trips but it works out a pricey hobby.
Back to top Go down
https://maddogz.forumotion.co.uk
stranger
Lifer
Lifer
stranger

PostSubject: Re: Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not?   Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 3:31 pm

it would be good to see both of them go in to the english leauge would benefit both teams. and the experience would be great not sure what leauge they would put us in. or as mentiond create a new one with selected teams only time will tell if it happen but I cant see it going ahead.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not?   Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rangers and Celtic want in to the EPL. - Should we welcome or not?
Page 1 of 1