HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Woman told to repay £5 of fraud

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Woman told to repay £5 of fraud   Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:22 am

A woman who stole £41,000 from her 95-year-old war hero great-uncle has been ordered to pay back just £5.

Hayley Price, 42, of Blaenavon, Torfaen, cooked and cleaned for D-Day veteran Arthur Edwards, while writing herself 154 fraudulent cheques.

She was given a year's jail, suspended for two years, at an earlier hearing at Cardiff Crown Court.

A proceeds of crime hearing was subsequently told all the money has been spent and Price had no assets.

Judge David Wynn Morgan ruled that Price must repay £5 to Mr Edwards by next week.

He had previously told her: "You did a wicked, wicked thing."

Price's trial heard she went shopping for her frail uncle and visited him every day for 11 years.

The court was told that during a police interview, she said: "I was greedy and had Christmas coming. I hold my hands up to it. I thought I could get away with it."

The jury heard that all the money was spent on herself, her son and her dog.

She admitted 12 counts of forgery.

Mr Edwards, a corporal in the South Wales Borderers, won the Kings Medal for Gallantry for saving the life of a doctor during the D-Day landings in World War II.

After the proceeds of crime hearing on Wednesday, Mr Edwards' family said it had been a "very difficult time" for the veteran soldier who now lives in a care home.

His niece Jayne Edwards said: "He will never see his money again and the fact that a member of his own family stole from him is very sad.

"I'm disappointed for my uncle that the system doesn't allow for him to get the money back."
Back to top Go down
Spellarella
Lifer
Lifer

PostSubject: Re: Woman told to repay £5 of fraud   Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:06 am

There was a similiar case, when a woman lost her lottery ticket. A couple found it and cashed it in, they paid back a very small amount.

Although this case is different it strikes me, if my bank account was credited wrongly with a huge amount. I would have to pay it all back, not some small token gesture. The law, methinks, is an ass!
Back to top Go down

Woman told to repay £5 of fraud
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1